Friday, February 25, 2011

Short Ribs in Red Wine & Port - FFWD

 
This week’s recipe for FFWD was Short Ribs in Red Wine & Port. Another great braise!

Even thought this is a fairly involved recipe, I will make it again. The beef cooked for a long time so was very tender. For the meat, I used 4 1/2 pounds of short ribs and 4 1/2 pounds of an on-sale boneless chuck roast (with a good amount of fat) so I got more meat for the buck. In the end, all the meat was the same. I also saved some money by using Ramos Pintos Ruby Port (for $17, this is an inexpensive port) and my new favorite red wine for cooking, Crane Lake Petite Sirah at only $5 a bottle.

There is a lot of wine in this, 1 1/2 bottles, but it didn’t taste winey at all. The sauce was not strong but still had exceptional flavor. Dorie’s My Go To Beef Daube had way much more of a wine flavor. The gremolata of parsley, garlic, & orange zest is what made the beef really perk up here. I won't ever skip the gremolata and this gave me the idea to try a lemon gremolata with John Thorne's Beef with Carrots (earlier posting below). That recipe doesn't need anything else but it might be an interesting addition.

My husband liked the in-progress pictures:)                                                   

17 comments:

  1. Oh, you made this look as delicious as you made it sound!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your in oven photo too! Your husband obviously has great taste.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever trick to use a couple of different kinds of meat! I forgot the gremolata and am kicking myself after reading all the reviews of how wonderful it was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smart to use part chuck roast and cut down the cost. I will do that next time because this dish is so good I want a next time. I agree with your husband on the 'in-progress' pictures:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post - I totally agree about the Gremolata & have already started to think of other ways to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree....not too wine-y. The gremolata was the best part!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every time I read how great the gremolata was, I kick myself for forgetting it... Very clever on the substitution for part of the beef.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had thought of using chuck roast instead as I couldn't find these right away. I think mixing it up was a GREAT idea that I will steal next time I make these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used the Crane Lake too. Glad this turned out so well! I like the in process photos too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great! I like that you supplemented the ribs with chuck. Clever girl... Petite Syrah is one of my favorite wines. I'm going to have to try to find your Crane Lake. $5 a bottle is an awesome price.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photos are STUNNING ! Nana and I totally loved this one - as did our families. And we agree that although it was a bit involved, it is definitely worth making again. So glad you shared how your selection of meat worked because trying it on a less expensive cut will be even better. Great job !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic idea to mix chuck and short ribs. I used an inexpensive Argentinian syrah that worked really well. Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, everyone! Off to see your posts now :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photos! Im glad you enjoyed the outcome of a long process!! My family loved the ribs:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! This looks so great! I love booze (read: LOVE booze) so this of course sounds fantastic to me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Meg, try the "My Go To Beef Daube" from AMFT if you want a boozy hit: http://cookingluciacara.blogspot.com/2010/12/my-go-to-beef-daube.html

    You can REALLY taste the wine in this one!

    ReplyDelete